3.20.2008

These are a few of my favorite things...

I can’t talk about someone’s favorite things without saying that line and thinking of the songs from The Sound of Music. I used to watch it at Mamaw’s house growing up; it was one of my favorites. Justin dislikes it greatly; something about they had to watch it in Catholic school and he hated the music. But I still love him anyways. Here are 10 favorite things in the life of our six-month-old in no particular order….

1. Saying “mamamama”. Not directed to me yet, just babbling. Close enough in my book.

2. Dancing in the exer-saucer. She doesn't just sit there, she dances.



3. Giggling when you tickle her side. (her “short ribs” as Justin calls it). She’s totally ticklish now, but only in that one spot.

4. Playing games. This weekend I was holding her on my hip and we were looking in the mirror together. I opened my mouth and took a deep breath of anticipation and proceeded to dive into the soft spot between her neck and shoulders and make some ridiculous noise. She giggled. But the best part was that she started anticipating the attack when I sucked in my breath. So instead of waiting for me to “get” her, she would turn her head and bury it into my shoulder and “get me” first and giggle. Priceless. Oh the joys of learning cause and effect.

5. Swinging at the park.



6. Staring at and now reaching out for Maggie. Speaking of cause and effect, she now knows that whenever Maggie walks close to her, she’s likely to get a slurp in the face. So instead of waiting for the lick, then scrunching up her nose, she blinks fast and scrunches up her whole face in anticipation before Maggie can taste her. It’s funniest when Maggie just walks on by and Grayson is left there wondering if she really got licked or not.

7. Sucking her thumb. She used to only do it at naptime and bedtime, but now she’s figured out that she can do it when she gets sleepy or when she just wants to look cute. And also, because we have a glorious video monitor, we can see that when she sleeps, her favorite position is on her left side, sucking her left thumb, with her right arm thrown over her eyes. She acts like it’s bright in her room and that I don’t have a room darkener shade, wooden blinds, and a curtain hanging on her window. I know, it’s a bit (way) overboard but it's the only thing that worked so it wasn’t like she was sleeping on the beach on a sunny day.



8. Sitting up with just a bit of help.

9. Rolling over, but still only back to front. Still no luck in teaching her the other way.

10. Laughing at us. If you put a toy on your head and say “Do you like my hat?” (Go Dog Go! reference here), she giggles. Sometimes she’ll even giggle if she hears you saying it before she can actually see what ridiculous item you’ve placed on your head.



And yes Justin, I know I just broke your cardinal Read Daddy Read blogging rule of minimal text, but I figured rules bend for all of this cuteness.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Shannon Smith said...

Great post. We are at nine months and I still love most of those things about our son, Palmer.

Kim thinks Palmer can say da-da, which he can, but it's like you said dadadadadadada. I won't count it until he looks at me and says it and I can see that he's made the connection.

You have a very cute baby. I've seen not-so-cute babies, and if that were the case I wouldn't mention it.